The general contractor. There’s no one on your commercial construction project who has a greater impact on the success and profitability of your project than he or she. The stakes for selecting the right GC, controlling their responsibilities and managing your relationship are high and can impact your grand opening. Here are some best practices:
- The general contractor you select should have a rapport with your existing team. His ability to be a team player and buy into your vision for the project will be critical to your project’s success.
- Relationships matter: make sure your GC has a full arsenal of quality, dependable subcontractors who deliver top-notch work. Hiring a sub-par subcontractor can spell disaster for your store’s on-time opening.
- It goes without saying that your GC must be able to meet your deadlines. Of course, you can expect a few delays, but does he have a proven track record of completing build-outs ahead of schedule? If not, you should find someone else for the job.
- When it comes to construction methods, there’s something to be said for the tried-and-true. But a good GC embraces innovation, optimizing the latest technology and materials to help you gain efficiency, save money and improve quality.
- You can always find someone who’ll low-bid to land a project, but for long-term, nationwide consistency, you’ll want someone who will hold their pricing from project to project, so you gain efficiency by avoiding the “learning curve” of a new company running each project. Also, typically when you get a low bid, you have to keep an eye on change orders. The goal should be to find a “team” you can use over and over, so you protect your brand, your schedule and your budget.
The bottom line? Forge a partnership with a general contractor you can trust but be sure it's someone with a proven track record, who can answer all your questions, and help you get the best deals.
If you're looking for someone to help with your restaurant or retail build-out or remodel, look no further than the Randal Program. Bringing you one turn-key solution, one direct service provided, and one locked-in pricing and billing system our Randal Program makes it easier and helps to get your project completed on time.
Whether it’s with lighting, tech, or mixed materials, connecting is at the heart of trends in retail design. Let Randal Retail Group help give your customers an in-store experience they won't forget.